Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Polly want a cracker?

First off, I know it's been a while since I posted. We've been busy with vacations, playdates and the usual ho-hum routine at our house, and I suppose I've gotten a little lazy. Today, we had a complete conversation at lunch that was so cute it made me want to share it with you.

You see, our Ryan has become a regular little parrot. He repeats EVERYTHING. When it's singing the ABCs or repeating an "amen" after the congregation at church, it's adorable. When it's "oh, crap" - we silently curse our inability to cover a swear with a more toddler-friendly word.

Beyond repeating words, he's also mimicking our actions as well. It brings tears to my eyes watching him recount a story or reenact an event from his point of view. The little dude understands and retains sooo much of our daily life, at least for the short term, and it's beyond precious.

Here's a conversation that happened today during lunch. You need his little facial expressions and inflection to really do it justice, but here it is verbatim:

Me: Ryan, what did we do today? (we had just gotten home from a park playdate with his cousin Autumn)

Ryan: I did go to work.

Me: You did??? Where do you work?

Ryan: Right there! (pointing at kitchen doorway that leads to garage)

Me: I see. What do you do at work?

Ryan: I go work today. Open work 'puter. (computer) Leave for little bit....Come back a work. Home....I back. I back a work.

Me: You're back already?

Ryan: I'm back today. Leave for little bit. Drive daddy's car. See ya! Have good daaaay.

And...repeat. We play through this same scenario several times a day. Sometimes he's "goin' a grosssery store" and sometimes it's "work" -- but it's always the repeated mimicking of the leaving and coming home process, which is the part he witnesses, so that makes sense.

To the outside world, perhaps this is boring. To me, it's a beautiful sign that my little boy is watching us, listening to us and learning every single day. And it makes me so grateful to be able to stay home with him every day to experience these conversations. (And I guess also the whining that is happening next to me at this moment....which means it's naptime. Adios!)

No comments: